The first step in fixing your baby’s sleep problems is to know what you can realistically expect. Having a clear idea of your 12 month old toddler’s sleep needs helps you know exactly what you’re working toward.
Naps & Awake Times
- Your baby needs 2-3 total hours of napping everyday.
- This is usually divided between 2 naps. It’s usually too early to drop to one nap.
- Awake times of 2.5–4 hours throughout the day work best at this age.
- Bedtime should fall between 6:30-8 pm.
- This is the “normal” range for bedtime, but try to keep your child’s bedtime within a 15 minute range each night. (Tight bedtimes lead to the best night sleep.)
- Most 12 month olds need 11-12 hours sleep at night. (Some can get by with 10 hours night sleep if they nap 3 hours everyday and moods are stable.)
- Your 1 year old CAN sleep through the night without feeding!
- If you’re worried about your baby’s growth or weight gain, please double check this with your baby’s doctor.
- Check out my Weaning Night Feedings Guide.
Total sleep in 24 hours
- 13-15 hours
Follow me on